This is the second of a two part series about SEO, how it works and how you can benefit.
The Benefits Of SEO
In Part I of our last blog about SEO, we compared the internet to the childhood game, Where’s Waldo? Now, we go a little deeper into why SEO is beneficial for websites. There are two main reasons why you should optimize your websites for search engines: (1) to ensure that you rank well when it comes to organic listings. This will guarantee you greater web traffic than if you were to rank poorly; and (2) a well optimized webpage means that you’ll be charged less advertisement fees if you choose to use paid listing services search as Google Adwords.
How To Go About It
So, we all agree that SEO is beneficial; it’s pretty obvious that in order for your business to be successful, you need to be visible online to consumers looking to purchase services or goods that you offer. But, how do you go about it?
The first step in your SEO strategy is to conduct proper research. This will help you know which keywords are the best to optimize your website for. Targeting specific keywords ensure that when someone searches for a particular phrase on the internet, your website comes up first. When conducting keyword research, you need to look at two specific areas:
- Keyword popularity: Ranking high for a specific keyword may be good for your ego, but it will only be good for your website if the keyword is popular.
- Ease of Ranking: The fact that a keyword is popular means that there will be plenty of people who will strive to rank well for that specific keyword. This will in turn make it difficult for you to rank well for that keyword or keyword phrase.
Choosing the best keyword phrase to target will require that you strike a balance between keyword popularity and ease of ranking.
2. On-Page Optimization
The trick to successful on-page SEO optimization is to ensure that the content that you’ll develop is relevant to a web user. Simply focusing on tweaking your content will not deliver long-term results. Once you have developed rich content, you can the fine tune your page’s SEO by doing the following:
- Focus on the ideal keyword density.
- Update your website on a regular basis.
- Make sure that your URL contains the targeted keywords.
- Link internally: your pages should link to other pages within the site.
- Avoid duplicate content and hidden links.
3. Off-Page SEO
Off-page search engine optimization is all about creating links from other websites to your website. The quality and quantity of the links will determine how optimized your site will be. There are three things that you need to do when you’re creating links to your site:
- Get links from quality sites
- Use anchor texts when creating links
By now, we hope you know what SEO is and why it’s important. Take the next step toward your future and call Semple Marketing to get started!